Expedition 340: Call for Scientists
Expedition 340: Lesser Antilles Volcanism and Landslides
January - March 2012
Application deadline: May 01, 2011
Scientific Aims: Based on IODP Proposal 681-Full2, this expedition will investigate the constructive and destructive processes of volcanic arcs by drilling sites along the Lesser Antilles Arc. The primary objectives are:
(1) to characterize the processes and timing of eruptive activity along the arc,
(2) to reconstruct volcanism during the early marine and subaerial stages of volcano construction,
(3) to identify the mechanisms controlling triggering, transport, and deposition of submarine debris avalanches from collapsing island volcanoes, and
(4) to assess the role of erosion, fragmentation and incorporation of sediments and water in debris avalanche mobility with implications for risk assessments.
Application Process: Scientists interested in participating please consult the
Required documents (PDF only) are:
1) a CV
2) a letter of interest including your specific expertise, previous involvement in DSDP/ODP/IODP expeditions, research interest
3) a publication list
Young researchers must additionally provide a letter of support from their host institution including information on the post-cruise science support: How to achieve the proposed scientific objectives in the future (funding scheme and support from host institution).
Please send a copy of your application documents to the IODP-Canada office ().