Expedition 342: Call for Scientists
Expedition 342: Newfoundland Paleogene and Cretaceous Sediment Drifts
June - August 2012
Application deadline: September 15, 2011
Scientific Aims: Based on IODP Proposal 661-Full2, this expedition will drill a depth transect into late Cretaceous-Oligocene sediment drifts off the coast of Newfoundland that contain an extensive record of early Late Cretaceous and Paleogene “Extreme Climate” events and the possible onset of Eocene northern hemisphere glaciation.
(1) the history of the North Atlantic deep waters during the Paleogene and latest Cretaceous;
(2) the history of possible Northern hemisphere glaciation in the Eocene and Oligocene;
(3) abyssal chemistry, vertical structure, and flow strength of the Deep Western Boundary Current and outflow from the Arctic and Nordic seas;
(4) expanded records of extreme climate events such as the Eocene-Oligocene glacial step (Oi1), the early
Paleogene hyperthermals, and the Cretaceous /Paleogene mass extinction; and
(5) extension of the astronomical timescale throughout the Cenozoic.
Application Process: Scientists interested in participating please consult the
Required documents (PDF only) are:
1) a CV
2) a letter of interest including your specific expertise, previous involvement in DSDP/ODP/IODP expeditions, research interest
3) a publication list
Young researchers must additionally provide a letter of support from their host institution including information on the post-cruise science support: How to achieve the proposed scientific objectives in the future (funding scheme and support from host institution).
Please send a copy of your application documents to the IODP-Canada office ().