Expedition 344: Call for Scientists
Costa Rica Seismogenesis Project (CRISP) 2
October - December 2012
Application Deadline: December 15, 2011
Scientific Aims: Based on Expedition 334 and Proposals 537A-Full5 and 537A-Add, this expedition aims to understand the processes that control nucleation and seismic rupture of large earthquakes at erosional subduction zones.
(1) the characterization of the lithology, texture, and physical properties of the subducting sediments and basement;
(2) the rate of subduction erosion and subsidence history of the upper plate;
(3) the fluid/rock interactions and geochemical processes active within the upper plate; and
(4) the evolution of the stress field upslope.
Application Process: Scientists interested in participating please consult the
Required documents (PDF only) are:
1) a CV
2) a letter of interest including your specific expertise, previous involvement in DSDP/ODP/IODP expeditions, research interest
3) a publication list
Young researchers must additionally provide a letter of support from their host institution including information on the post-cruise science support: How to achieve the proposed scientific objectives in the future (funding scheme and support from host institution).
Please send a copy of your application documents to the IODP-Canada office ().